04 September 2009

The Broken Spatula: What's in a Name?

The name comes from an inside joke between my husband and I. Except that it's more of a one-sided joke.

When we first started dating and I came to visit him (he lived in Texas while I was in California), I felt sorry for his cooking utensils. They were sad. They were flimsy. They were broken. Including the spatula. I tried cooking with them, but it was difficult. They were hard to grip and sometimes fell apart.

Coming back from my trip, I told my two best friends from work (a job I recently quit), about said cooking utensils. And it became our inside joke.

After he proposed, I was excited about registering for gifts. In particular, NEW cooking utensils.

I had tried, a couple of times, a couple of failed attempts to hint about getting a couple of new cooking utensils. Maybe a spoon. Maybe a pasta spoon. Maybe a spatula. But each time (and I finally gave up), he said no. Since we weren't living together, I really had no say.

I'm pleased to say that we did register for new cooking utensils. I'm elated to say that we received said cooking utensils. Probably all due to the fact that I talked about his broken spatula. What can I say? They needed to be retired.

When I finally moved into his place and we were arranging our new wedding gifts, we had to say goodbye to the broken utensils. He said, "You must be happy about this." I didn't make any pretense. I was excited to throw those suckers away! Sadly, I don't have any photos of the old spoon and spatula.

This is the set we received, thanks!

Thus how The Broken Spatula came to fruition.

Photo from Target.com

No comments:

Post a Comment